Skip to content

Today’s news: People like iPhones more than animals, Taco Bell could go vegan, and MTV ‘Skins’

January 28, 2011

Here are some fascinating articles that the humans (and animals) at Current Instincts are reading today. Did we miss something major? Let us know below or send us an email.

1. People care more about iPhones and BMWs  than animals. When people were asked about their deepest, darkest desires in a recent study, most folks said they craved the new iPhone or a new BMW more than saving endangered species. The World Wildlife Fund, however, did beat out Rolex and the Red Cross on this list of passions. So, in conclusion, people care about animals more than other people and watches — but not more than cars and Apple products. (CNET)

Taco Bell Dog

Yo quiero tofu?

2. A vegan Taco Bell? The fast food restaurant is in the midst of a legal battle over the amount of beef in its … beef. The state of Alabama is claiming that beef makes up only 36 percent of the company’s meat. The other 64 percent? We don’t want to know. Luckily, one animal rights group, Mercy for Animals, has come up with the perfect solution — just get rid of the beef! In a letter to the company, the group’s executive director wrote,  “Taco Bell customers would lose their appetites if they saw how cows raised for beef are inflicted with third degree burns (hot-iron branding), have their testicles ripped from their scrotums and their horns burned out of their skulls — all without any painkillers.” A convincing argument to go meatless but will a public that prefers iPhones to animals (see above) be that accepting of a switch? (Denver Westword)

3. PETA wants in on MTV’s smut-like show. MTV is getting a lot of crap by parents for their new show, Skins, and several advertisers have pulled their commercials. (Personally, we really don’t think it’s THAT crazy, however, we’re also in our 20s and we don’t have teenage children at home.)  PETA may have a solution. The groups thinks that the show is the perfect platform for its 30-second commercial, Stolen for Fashion, in which Ricky Gervais and Pink play the voices of a bunny and a crocodile. (Watch the commercial here.) PETA said in a statement, “[W]hen it comes to graphic material, nothing tops the violence of the fur and exotic-skin trades.” (The Examiner)

4. Year of the Rabbit puts bunnies in danger. February 3 marks the official start of the Year of the Rabbit, and many people are hopping over to pet stores and farms to snatch up a cuddly creature in hopes of improving their luck. But animal rights activists are worried this year won’t end well for the bunnies. “People think they are small and cute, (but) they are a lot of work. They just can’t be stuffed into a cage,” said Ashley Fruno, Asia representative for PETA. (The Associated Press)

5. Bat poops in plant, plant eats poop, everyone is happy. Yup. That title pretty much sums it up. (Discovery News)

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. January 28, 2011 11:44 am

    I’ve been hearing/reading about the Taco Bell lawsuit. Apparently it doesn’t even meet the 40% beef requirement to even be called taco meat filling. Eeek!

    • January 28, 2011 12:02 pm

      Currently, 2/3rds of the Current Instincts writers are vegetarians. We’re hoping this story will get us to 100%, but alas, one of our writers likes chicken and waffles too much.

  2. January 28, 2011 3:56 pm

    imagine contributing your body to end up as…a taco bell burrito 😦
    not exactly like contributing your brain to science or something

    • January 28, 2011 4:07 pm

      Oh geez when you put it that way it makes me want to cry! My sister got ecoli from Taco Bell..and still eats there.

      Also, thanks for putting us on your blog roll! One day we’re going to get around to making one of those…

  3. Michelle permalink
    January 31, 2011 1:46 pm

    oooOOooo I hope my bunny Scofield brings me luck this year!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: